April 24, 2008

So what are you passionate about?

Do I have any regrets in life? Yes, I do. Many. But the one on the top right now is that I never cultivated deep passion for one particular activity. What do I do? Nothing. What do I looooove to do? Nothing. What is it that I want to do? Nothing. What am I good at? Nothing.

Oh if you ask me what my passion is, what my hobbies are, like a lot of sites do (Orkut, Facebook etc.), I will say I like music, what music, you say. Oh just anything. And what else? Hmm...hmm...I like reading.

No. I love reading.

Honestly, reading is the only thing that even closely qualifies to be called one of my passions. (Yes, I am sarcastic.) But it doesn't take much for this passion of mine to take a backseat. If I were so passionate about it, wouldn't I be spending time on it rather than simply passing time with it?

Some people are artists, some are hikers, some are photographers, what am I? I seem to be in an identity crisis. I want to be known for myself rather than just being an avid traveller and award-winning photographer's wife (hubby dear, please do not mind). Or let me rephrase that. While being an avid traveller and award-winning photographer's wife, I also want to be known for myself.

So does it make sense to look for a passion? To create a passion?

After a bit of soul searching, I found that I do not need to create one. It exists. All it needs is more focus. Reading. Yes, that is my passion!

I want to read all the books on the face of earth. Of course, that is not possible. But I want to read as many authors as possible, as many subjects as possible, as many books as possible. I want to read fiction and non-fiction, humor and politics (oh, I believe they are opposites), history and geography(?), romance and war. However, I do not want to read self-help-improve-your-life books. I don't like them.

There are a few ideas hovering in my mind. Like setting a target for the year or writing reviews of the books I read or something else. I will be back here once I figure this out.

A retake on some questions:
What do I do? Read. What do I looooove to do? Read. What is it that I want to do? Read. What am I good at? Still the same! Nothing! ;)

Cheers to my discovery!

3 comments:

Zishaan Hayath said...

Cheers! Rightly said, you just need to focus on your already existing passion. And perhaps think of ways to share it with the world. You want others to enjoy and get inspired too, right?

Unknown said...

ditto. no, not on what zishaan said, but on your post. as I tell ppl, sadly (and at times proudly), "I can't commit, to any one thing. keep flitting from one to another." it's like having a lot of mistresses, but no single love. heh, commitment phobia.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.