January 24, 2008

Muss es sein? Es muss sein! Es muss sein!

Must it be? It must be! It must be!

This is how Milan Kundera describes his characters' needs in his book '
The Unbearable Lightness of Being'.

I had my eyes on this book for some time but when I could actually lay my hands on it, at a friend's place, I was a bit skeptical about it. The first review I heard was this: "Either you will love it or you will hate it. There is no middle way". I picked up the book. Two days later I am done reading it. I read a lot of online reviews however the one most precise is still the one I heard first.
"Either you will love it or you will hate it. There is no middle way". And I love it!

Even though there was not much time to spare these last couple of days, I read it everywhere, home, office, even on the way to office. I did not want to put the book down, it is so fascinating. I wanted to keep reading it. So much so that as I approached the end I did not want to read it because I wanted it to go on forever.

The Unbearable Lightness of Being. What happens only once is as good as not happening at all. Because we have only one life, it does not matter. A decision can not be judged right or wrong unless we get the chance to go the other way as well. Because our only-once-lived-life does not matter, it makes our 'being' light. This lightness makes our life insignificant thus making the idea unbearable. Hence, the Unbearable Lightness of Being.

Fair enough, I'd say.

"Einmal ist keinmal"(once is nonce), Beethoven's "es muss sein!" (It must be!), Sabina's "Kitsch" summarize the theme. All at the same time, it is philosophical, ironical, sarcastic, humorous, sad and random!

When the subject matter is as random as this, I am amazed at the author's ability to make a book out of it. How people can make an organized (and sensible!) compilation of totally arbitrary thoughts amazes me. This is why I had liked 'A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' too.


I was reading 'The Kite Runner' before this. It was touching. Reading it made me sad. The subject matter of 'The Unbearable...' is sad too but reading it made me happy. Happy that I read the book for if I had not read it I would have missed out on something great!

Even though my liking to Kite Runner has taken a back seat in view of Unbearable.., it is a book I enjoyed reading. So much that Khaled Hosseini's other book, 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' is in my list of To-Read-Soon! Reading Kite Runner refreshed my old feeling of being-unable-to-put-the-book-down after a long time. Thanks to The Kite Runner, I am back in the reading race.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I know that its a bit late leaving a comment on this particular post, but, am going to do it anyway:-). I loved reading Khalid Hosseini's The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. I could'nt get it out of my mind for a long time. Good to find someone who thinks alike. Enjoyed reading your blog.
Lata.