July 9, 2008

Siddhartha - Herman Hesse

Being not too keen on philosophy, I was skeptical about reading Siddhartha but a couple of chapters down, there was no going back. Not just that, I have already read it twice.

Written in an extremely simple yet potently powerful language, this book will force you to think. It will keep coming back to you as you look at everyday things, as you go through life.

Hesse’s philosophy is strikingly different from all others (I know) in its most basic premise on how to attain Nirvana. Instead of forgoing worldly pleasures and ties, it highlights the importance of accepting the world, the Sansara, as part of one’s self. Experience, not teachings and lessons, is the way to enlightenment.

A quick read, I do not claim it to be life-altering, but is surely worth a thought or two.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who says it cant be life altering?

Anonymous said...

awesome !
I love this book !